General Restoration of Media Centre ORF (Austrian Radio and Television)
Project title: General Restoration of Media Center ORF (Austrian Radio and Television)-
Investment budget: 182.000.000 €
Service(s): Construction supervision
The Media Center ORF (Austrian Radio and television) was built in the 1970s as a prefabricated construction.
The project General Restoration and Extension of the Media Center ORF concerns refurbishment of the existing buildings, in compliance with the requirements of monument protection as well as construction of a multimedia newsroom.
A total of six existing buildings are being refurbished and 3 new buildings are being constructed.
The already finished renovated Building 1 consists of 7 upper floors, ground floor, 3 basements and collector junctions in the 4th basement with approx. 30,000 m² gross floor area. The upper floors 1 to 6 accommodate offices, archives, tea kitchens, toilet facilities, seminar rooms, server rooms and the ORF Board of Trustees. On the 7th floor are the HVAC facilities.
The ground floor contains an atrium, which is used for large events and lectures, a reception area, a Bank and more offices. In the basement, there are HVAC facilities, a warehouse and underground parking for about 1.000 vehicles.
With regard to the energy efficiency refurbishment, and based on the energy audit, the energy efficiency measures for the Building 1 are described below:
- Partial refurbishment of the building envelope, including façade and windows
- Roof heat insulation
- Complete reconstruction/renewal of the HVAC, sanitary facilities as well as Electrical Instruments and Control (EI&C)
The Building 2, which has also already been refurbished and put into operation, consists of 2 upper floors, a HVAC facility on the roof, and 4 underground floors with approx. 8,400 m² gross floor area. The upper floors accommodate archives, tea kitchens, toilet facilities, seminar rooms, server rooms. The underground floors accommodate the HVAC and electrical facilities, a Post Office and an entrance area.
Considering that the building was constructed in1968 and it is a historical monument, with regard to the energy efficiency refurbishment, and based on the energy audit, the energy efficiency measures for the Building 2 allowed for a small scale insulation thicknesses, mounted on the facade to preserve the facade structure. The insulation thickness is between 2 and 6cm, at the bottom up to 14cm were possible. The insulation consists of EPS or where required for fire protection reasons, of mineral wool. The new windows and the insulation of the external façade achieved a heating need of 107.21 kWh / m2a for Building 2.
Being public buildings, the design and construction works are done according to the Austrian Energy Efficiency Law. The calculation of the building physics is based on ÖN B8110.
Buildings 3, 4, 5 and 6 are currently being refurbished and at a different stage of completion. In parallel, the new buildings 7, 8 and 11 are under construction.
Scope of Services:
- Design review: construction works-building envelope, HVAC and electrical works
- Review of tender documents: construction works-building envelope, HVAC and electrical works
- Management of costs:
- Monitoring the budget and expenditures
- Budget forecasting
- Financial reporting
- Management of deadlines
- General work plan
- Supervision of milestones
- Proposing solutions for overcoming delays
- Project monitoring and reporting: monthly, quarterly reports on progress and risks
- Contract monitoring: around 20 construction companies and suppliers, around 10 individual consultants for:
- Structural engineering (Statics)
- Building physics (Energy Efficiency)
- Fire protection
- On-site construction supervision