Institute of Science and Technology Austria (IST Austria)
Project title: Institute of Science and Technology Austria (IST Austria)
Investment budget: 270.000.000 €
Service(s): Project Monitoring and Control
The Institute of Science and Technology Austria (IST Austria) is a multidisciplinary research institute dedicated to cutting-edge research in the fields of physics, mathematics, computer science and life sciences.
IST Austria was founded in 2006 by the Austrian Federal Government and the State of Lower Austria. In 2009 the Campus in Klosterneuburg near Vienna was opened and the design of the laboratory and administration buildings began.
In the course of the second expansion stage, three laboratory buildings, an administration building, a cafeteria and an extension of the kindergarten were implemented. In the years that follow, completion of a further laboratory building, construction of a visitor center and construction of a bridge over the federal highway are planned. And the growth does not stop there. In 2026, a total of 1.000 people will be working on the Campus and 90 research groups will be looking for new scientific methods and results on a daily basis.
- Nanofabrication Facility with a connecting clean room
- Cooling of quantum computers, atoms and molecules to almost 0 Kelvin
- Cryogenic electron microscope
- Ultra Low Temperature (ULT) and cryogenic refrigerators
- Preclinical Facilities: first automated drinking system in Austria
- Landmark architecture by international architects to set a landmark that crosses the borders of the country and thus represents the importance of the research institute
- The practical project experience contributed significantly to improving of the knowledge of a functioning project structure for a large project.
- The project was implemented within the budgeted costs.
- The requirements of the newly recruited research groups were implemented at a short notice
- The active support of the media proved to be an important part of the positive public perception of the project. Positive newspaper articles were published regularly.
- 179,000 m² total area of the Campus
- 28,000 m² of usable space – expansion stage 2
- 6 new building complexes – expansion stage 2
Scope of Services:
- Control of management and organisation
- Ensuring an efficient project setup and project flow structure
- Ensuring continuous project documentation (follow-up control)
- Control of design – implementation of user requirements, compliance with technical standards
- Contract management
- Procurement (strategy): advice and control, compliance with legal regulations
- Cost control – ongoing target / actual cost analysis
- Quality control, including periodic on-site inspections – ensuring the required quality
- Deadline control – ongoing target / actual analysis
- Advice and control of change management
- Invoice verification
- Examination of contract addenda
- Support for anti-claim management
- Advice and participation in the handover process